Sunday, January 10, 2010

Call for assistance on 2m

On my way home from work today I was called by my friend Aage LA1ENA over the LA5GR 2m repeater. He was stuck with a flat car battery after accidentally leaving the headlights on while he was operating portable from a local hill called Vestre Vealøs (SOTA ref: LA/TM-013). There is no cell phone coverage on the parking spot but fortunately he was carrying his Yaesu VX-6 and was able to call for assistance on 2m.

 I was only 10 minutes away so I was able to help him to jump start the car. Nils Cato LA4AFA heard our qso and offered to lend us his jump leads but I am carrying my own leads so we didn't need them.The temperature was about -10°C at the place.

Photo shows Aage and his Mazda 4x4 pickup

4 comments:

  1. Good job you were able to hear his call for help, Mads. It reminds me of some of my first days in ham radio back in the '70s when I lived at home and had to work mobile because my father wouldn't allow me an antenna. I was using an ex-commercial VHF radio-telephone modified for 2m FM which ran off an inverter. It could exhaust a battery pretty quickly, and I only realised what was happening when the inverter while started to go lower in frequency. Fortunately I had parked facing down a slight incline and was able to bump-start the car without assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mads, I see you drive a Toyota Corolla E10. The best ! I had one for 5 years, no problems at all. Just bought another Corolla last week, my 6th Toyota. Own a 1988 Starlet as well. Anyway, always nice to help a fellow HAM after a call on the radio. A mobile phone is still no guarantee of help, this proves it. Nice story. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bas
    Impressive Toyota knowledge! My previous car was a Corolla too and we also have an Avensis 2006 Station wagon. I don't care about cars as long as they run and that's why I drive Toyota. They always work!

    73

    Mads, LA1TPA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mads!
    I remember.. Once upon a time the 70`s
    such situations rescued as CB-radio !

    73! Leo, ua1asb.

    ReplyDelete