Saturday, April 2, 2011

Norwegian Hammeeting and FT-817 elbow connector

This morning I picked up Aage LA1ENA and his son at 7.00 am and headed for Gardermoen just north of Oslo to attend the Norwegian Hammeeting. The trip took us 2,5 hours. Several radio suppliers were present and there was a large flea market and a number of lectures. I listened to a lecture by Roy W7EL who was talking about antenna modelling with EZNEC.

Permo is the largest radio supplier in Norway and on one of their tables I found a box of elbow PL-259/bnc connectors. I noticed the placement of the teeth inside the PL-connector where asymmetric! I guess these are specially made for the FT-817 to mount small verticals like the MFJ-1899T (ATX) straight! Using a normal elbow connector will make the antenna lean over to one side. I bought one of these connectors and a couple of chassis SO-239 connectors for a balun project.

4 comments:

  1. As I read your blog it was interesting to see that at a ham fest there was lectures. That is one thing that is missing out this way. Lots of tables with stuff to buy, some local clubs there showing off what is done at their club...but nothing in regards to lectures. I may run that idea past the folks who organize the events out this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! Here's the schedule for this years lectures in english, just in case you need some ideas:

    http://www.hammeeting.no/hammeeting/data/46.pdf

    72/73! Mads, la1tpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mads, Do you have an MFJ-1899T? If so, are you satisfied with it? I'm just curious if a 52 inch whip actually can work.
    73 de Hans Chr. / LA1EBA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Hans Christian
    Thanks for your comment! Yes, I've had one of these for years now but didn't quit believe in it! The last year I have used it a few times when operating portable with my FT-817ND at 5W on 20m SSB. I have worked E7, M, OL, HB9, DL, OK, 9A, OE, HA and LA so far.

    It's not a full size dipole but it's working much better than first expected.

    72/73! Mads, la1tpa

    ReplyDelete